About Me

My photo
I am an Air Force brat who always knew that I wanted to be a teacher. Working with kids has been one of my biggest passions in life. I recently graduated from K-State, but still plan on cheering them on. I don't know what life would be like if I didn't!

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Student Return + State Assessment = One Stressed out Teacher!


You will hopefully remember that I have had two students who got really sick. One with H1N1 and the other with a genetic kidney disease. I just wanted to give all of you a brief update.

Grace-She has still not returned to school, though she is out of the hospital. I have met with her a few times to provide Home Based tutoring. She is such a little warrior. Grace had surgery a few weeks ago on her trachea, which was severely damaged during her time in the coma. She had a voice box that she used to speak. I think I was more nervous about meeting together than she was. She was so excited to finally have school! This time has ended up being a blessing for me. Please continue to pray for her, as she still has a long road ahead of her :)

Dustin-This guy is another little warrior. The disease he has attacks his kidneys. He will eventually have to go on Dialysis, and then have a transplant. The first transplant is not expected to work, so they will have to try another one...but they won't do more than two! Despite all of this, Dustin has been able to return to school.

This time has been a mixture of excitement and stress. Before Dustin returned, I had to learn how to take blood pressure because his needs to be taken regularly. I also need to look for signs of how he is feeling, and know when/if I need to call for an ambulance. When I talked to the nurse about why he was allowed to return to school, with all of these health concerns, she said it was so that his last days would be as normal as possible. Talk about breaking my heart! I don't know how to be the teacher that he needs. I know God will provide this for me though. Please pray for this situation and for Dustin.
State Testing-Our state tests begin on Monday. We will take our math test beginning on Monday. I am very nervous about these. I have a few interesting students in my class who make me nervous about doing well on the test. I am praying that God would quiet this anxiety in both mine and my students' hearts. I have tried extremely hard to make this experience as positive as possible for my kiddos. It will not be a stressful time. I may be stressed, but my students will hopefully not pick up on that. My room has been transformed. I (and a group of special helpers) made and hung up posters with encouraging words to hang around the room. I am so excited to see my kids faces when they walk in on Monday!
Please Pray :) Love all of you that are reading this and am so lucky to have you in my life!







No comments:

Post a Comment